Upon researching a link for our good friend Woody featured in our last post, we delved deep in to the “Cosby sweater” subculture. Mesmerized, one click after another led us deeper and deeper into a love-hate relationship of this “novelty” sweater.
The brightly colored, very detailed sweaters made by Coogi were the “it” sweater of the ’80s/early ’90’s. They became the fashion trademark for Bill Cosby (hence the nickname) and more notably The Notorious B.I.G., which he stated in his lyrics “I stay Coogi down to the socks”. While Coogi has seen a decline in mainstream popularity they remain persistent as they continue to put out fashion forward product lines, influencing the knit industry and urban hipsters everywhere.
Some of the fun and interesting links we found along the way:
- If you miss Bill C. and his sweaters, he’s getting with the times. You can now follow him on such places as Facebook, Twitter and Myspace. Can’t wait to get an earful of his socially conscious hip-hop, then click here!
- Childhood cartoon icon gets a ghetto make over on this rad hip-hop t-shirt. We love how you get a free mix tape with purchase. Be one of the cool kids click here!
- We’ll never understand where American Apparel is coming from, but that’s the point of being fashion forward. Inspired by the mix and match of ’80’s color these loud socks are a must have to accompany your Coogi mini-dress. To keep your ass calves warm click here!
- Urban Outfitters makes no effort to hide their inspiration. It’s all in the name “Silence + Noise Cosby Sweater Coat”. This black and white intarsia knit sweater coat will keep you warm with out blinding your friends, click here!
We saved the best two links for last…
- For those who have yet retire their sweaters, and probably never will, this blog is for you. Rock Dat Coogi!
- We love blogs with great stories behind them. Here’s this guy with more “bad sweaters” than one guy should have and his tales in spreading the bad sweater love. He’s been featured all over the place, so why not here too?! Check out the Bad Sweater Guy!
We hope you have enjoyed the brief look at the “Cosby sweater”. Now go, be inspired to make some bad knit choices of your own and don’t forget to take some pictures!